Stay focused and have a plan. This is valuable advice that can
be applied to many aspects of life in general. And very useful when composing
business messages in particular. I tend to overthink what I want to say when writing
a message. Sometimes my brain goes into overdrive and I'll say in three
sentences what can easily be said in one. The instructions in these chapters have
helped me learn to simply state what needs to be said. To find my point and
stick to it.
This will be useful in my career as it's much easier to
understand a message that is brief and concise. I've also find it useful in my
personal life as well. No more hinting, or elaborating, or expecting my husband
to read my mind (I've never understood why he completely fails at that.) Now I just
straight out tell him, the trash can is full so take out the trash. Please. Mustn't
forget to be courteous as instructed in Chapter 7.
The least valuable thing I've learned? Hmmm . . . Joining Twitter
was fun. But, I haven't once thought about checking my Twitter account since
that assignment. Maybe if I used Twitter for my job I'd find it more valuable.
In closing, I've enjoyed this class. I feel I have a better
appreciation for the necessity of good business communications. It's not just
about the importance of getting the job done right. Effective communication also
acknowledges the humanity of the people we work with. This is good for
business. And the makes the world a nicer place.
Keeping it short and simple is not only good for the person composing the message but is good for the person receiving the message. I cans think how many time I've thought, "just get to the point" when I am reading something. Valuable lesson learned.
ReplyDeleteI agree about not checking my Twitter account since I created it. It's not that I wasn't truly interested in the people I followed. I just have too much else to do online: Facebook, email, bank balances, and of course, homework.
ReplyDeleteI've also wondered why my boyfriend cannot read my mind when I want him to do something.
I enjoyed reading your post!
ReplyDeleteMen, I wonder why my man can't read my mind either. I forget that I actually have to tell them that the something needs to be done. A good reminder for me instead of waiting then getting mad about the small things.
I have checked my twitter a couple of times right after the assignment but there was too much unnecessary information. It was taking all the good space in my brain for other useful information.
Great post! Getting to the point is always important. I think we forget to do that in our everyday conversations. I know I have to be careful when I write emails to friends.
ReplyDeleteRamona
I think that learning how to communicate better and friendlier is a good thing to come out of this class.
ReplyDelete