Thursday, February 23, 2012

Accounting PR


The conversation usually goes something like this.

New acquaintance: So what do you do?
Me: I'm taking classes at OTC.
New acquaintance: Nice, what degree?
Me: An AAS in Accounting, going to be a bookkeeper.
New acquaintance: Oh . . . (giving me a certain "look")  . . . I'm not very good at math . . .

This leaves me scratching my head. Because, you know what, I'm not that great at math either. I had to really brush up on my algebra for the placement exam. And by now I've already forgotten all of it again anyway. When I have a math question I always ask my husband, who does happen to be good at math.

And what's with the "look"? I get the impression that people think accountants are, well, different. Than ordinary people. Almost like accountants aren't really, you know, normal.

It appears to me that accounting as a field needs a boost in the PR department. And what better way to accomplish that than blogging!

First off, an accounting blog could let the world in on a well known secret. Accountants and bookkeepers use computer software to do their math, just like the rest of civilization. Computers are excellent at math, even better than husbands. Right now I'm taking a class on QuickBooks for small businesses, it's not that complicated. And for personal finance there are programs like AceMoney and Quicken that make it easy to keep track of your money.

As for being normal? Well, my dogs adore me. Does that count for anything? A blog about accounting could portray the human side of bean counting. I like accounting because it all adds up so nice and neat. It's very concrete and not subjective. I will admit that accounting does require concentration and attention to detail. And obviously some people are better at that than others. But that's the way with any profession; a person's personality needs to fit with the demands of the job.

And then there are some people, like a friend I know, who likes to clean houses. Can I get her committed? Right after she cleans my house of course.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, I work with several accountants and book keepers and I can verify that they are normal people too. Good luck with your career and when your friend is done cleaning your house my address is....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am pursuing a degree in accounting and know all too well that "look". Accounting comes naturally to me, so I know its what I need to do. Everyone should do what they like and what makes them happy. You're right, about the math - the computer does it all. Funny story: my boyfriend was thinking about changing career paths and asked if I thought he'd make it in my profession. I looked back and reminded him of a comment he'd made that "work (for him) was like falling off a log." For him, that's a diesel mechanic: for me, its accounting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting way of describing accounting. "...they are normal people..."

    ReplyDelete